Drugs and alcohol

Worried about your or someone else’s drug or alcohol use?

Overusing drugs and/or alcohol or when they become a problem is called substance misuse/abuse. When we talk about ‘substances’ we don’t just mean illegal ones that most of us have heard of, such as cocaine or heroin. This also includes legal or prescription substances such as tobacco and pain medication.

Substance abuse can lead to problems with relationships, from placing stress on our families to creating difficulties with our friends. It can also cause or make existing mental health problems worse.

Check out the links below for help and support.

Local support available

Barod Choices – Swansea

Barod Choices Swansea supports 11 – 25 year olds who either want support for their own substance use, or if they’ve been affected by someone else’s substance use.

Barod Choices Swansea are based in Info-Nation.

Tel: 01792 472002

Live chat is available.

Find Barod Choices on Twitter and Facebook

Visit Barod Choices’ Website

Switch – Neath Port Talbot

Switch is WCADA’s young person’s substance use service offering free and confidential advice, information and support to young people aged 11 – 25 in the Neath Port Talbot area.

They support those who are using and those who are affected by someone else’s use.

Tel: 01639 633630

Visit Switch’s Website

Helplines & useful information

DAN 24/7

A free bilingual telephone drugs helpline providing a single point of contact for anyone in Wales wanting further info or help relating to drugs or alcohol.

Freephone: 0808 808 2234

Text: DAN to 81066

Visit DAN 24/7’s Website


Drinkaware is a charity working to reduce alcohol misuse and harm in the UK. The website includes advice, strategies and tools to support your journey.

Call Drinkline: 0300 123 1110 (weekdays 9am-2pm, weekends 11am-4pm)

Chat with a drinkaware advisor

Visit Drinkaware’s Website

Drugs Meter

Anonymous, personalised feedback on your drug use for over 18s.

Visit Drugs Meter’s Website

Newid’s Alcohol Screening Tool

Check how healthy your drinking is with this quick and easy quiz.

Newid’s Alcohol Screening Tool

Al-Anon Family Groups

Al-Anon Family Groups UK is there for anyone whose life is, or has been, affected by someone else’s drinking.

Freephone helpline: 0800 0086 811

Al-Anon Family Groups’ Website

Terence Higgins Trust

Search for info on HIV, blood bourne viruses and sexual health.

Visit Terence Higgins Trust’s Website


Provides honest information about drugs and alcohol.

Find information on accessibility, confidentiality and cost.

Tel: 0300 123 6600 24/7

Text: 82111

Email: frank@talktofrank.com

Live chat: 2pm – 6pm, everyday

Talk to FRANK website

YOUNGMiNDS’ Drugs and alcohol guide

There are many reasons why someone might drink alcohol or take drugs. The YOUNGMiNDS guide covers the facts on drugs and alcohol, how they can affect your mental health, and advice on what to do if you need help.

YOUNGMiNDS’ Drugs and alcohol guide